Friday, February 18, 2011

Incompatibility MS software

Apple iPhone - Obvious incompatibility with MS software



Despite the determined declarations that iTunes and the iPhone are compatible with MS software, I know that I am far from alone in experiencing problems, and I have today hit on a prime example. I have realized before that Outlook's < Recurrent Appointment > setup in MS Office did not work properly in iTunes and iPhone.

Scanning my next couple of weeks today in the iPhone Calendar, I noticed that a regular meeting (a committee that occurs on the first Friday quarterly) was marked as on Sunday afternoon, not Friday. Editing this in the iPhone, it showed that the recurrence was and on the first Friday of March annually - yet nothing I did could persuade the iPhone to modify this to Friday March 4th, not Sunday March 6th. Deleting everything, and modifying MS Outlook on the PC, I resynchronized - same dates, and I see that the iPhone does not itself have a setting for "same weekday" in a < Custom > item - it plainly copies from the PC a setting it cannot replicate. This is not opinion, it is fact - it happens.

This is entirely consistent with previous experience I have had since using an iPhone. It makes an awful mess of recurrent appointments transferred from MS Outlook - some of them have been mangled in the past, as has this one. It is not good enough for Apple to be complacent about this - either sort it, or warn users what it can and cannot do

Any comments? How do I present this obvious bug so that Apple will listen?

iPhone Calendar
Apple iPhone Calendar
If I read you correctly the iPhone calendar does not have the proper option to match the settings in Outlook. So the incompatibility is due to the lack of functionality in the iPhone app. I also found this to be true. The solution is to go to an app that is compatible with Outlook. I have been using Pocket Informant. It is now capable of syncing with Outlook.

-----
I may be doing something different. I use the exchange server setting through work and have never had problems through miconnect with repeating appointments set on my phone or on my work calendar. Of course, I no longer sync with my home outlook program. I rarely use my home outlook now although I may set it up with Google eventually.

After having multiple, multiple problems with BlackBerry and Outlook even using Pocket Informant, I am thrilled not to find disappearing contacts or appointments. I am still having to rebuild part of my data base and I gave up the Bold at the beginning of December. The Bold 9000 had a huge memory leak and did a lot of damage to my things, but to BlackBerry's reputation period.

No comments: