Wednesday, February 9, 2011

AT&T Launches Unlimited Mobile...

Apple iPhone - AT&T Launches Unlimited 'Mobile to Any Mobile' Calling, Requires Unlimited Messaging



In what could be viewed as yet another bid by AT&T to keep customers from defecting to the Verizon iPhone, the carrier today announced that it will launch tomorrow a new "Mobile to Any Mobile" feature allowing unlimited calling from AT&T phone...

iPhone ATT
Apple iPhone ATT
Hmm..sounds good.

Currently, I have 200 messages...$5 a month..unlimited would be $20...but most
folks i know have mobile phones...any drawbacks that you see??

-----
whoopee.

"Pay us buckets of money, and we'll let you use your phone as it should work."

I'll pass.

I'm on a 450 minute plan, and I rack up roll over minutes every month. I'm on a 200 message plan and never use 100. Text messaging cost the cell providers virtually nothing since it piggy backs on the signal to locate the cell towers.

-----
This should in theory allow me to downgrade my plan. currently I have the 900 minute plan and a ton of rollover minutes and I text about 4000 texts a month. I do use about 800 minutes a month, but I would wager that 90% of my calls are mobile to mobile. I've filled up my A-plan as well with those numbers which call me regularly that I know are landline (my business line for instance). I should at least be able to try it for a month or two, relying on my rollover minutes if there are any "overages" right?

-----
You must have unlimited messaging and a qualifying minutes plan. I have 700 minutes on a family plan and unlimited messaging and AT&T added it on for free. Most of my minutes are mobile to mobile to other AT&T phones. I think this is going save me minutes and add them to my roll over.

-----
Just be sure that you get to keep your current rollover minutes. In some cases you don't. Downgrading your voice plan maybe one of those.

4000 texts a month, that means you send a text, on average, every 7 minutes you are awake!?!?

-----
I think you lose all your rollover minutes if you change plans. I am thinking of downgrading my plan also. When I changed from 2000 min to 1400 family plan, we lost our rollover.

-----
When you downgrade, you will lose all roll-over minutes, except for an amount equal to your new plan. In other words, if you down grade to a 450 minute plan, you will retain 450 roll-over minutes, and lose the rest.

I was thinking that this feature only covered minutes for calls you make (vs. receive), but I just double-checked and it's both. I have a family plan with 1400 minutes and A-List, but I'll have to do some analysis, because I think most of those calls are from mobile numbers these days...

-----
I have 1400 minute plan with 5 phones. And we have 8,000 rollover minutes. Looks like I've had a plan much more than I needed. I am considering downgrading to 700 minutes now with mobile to mobile free.

-----
Is there an app that tells you if the number is for a cell phone and which carrier? That would sure help, wouldn't it.

-----
Is there an app that tells you if the number is for a cell phone and which carrier? That would sure help, wouldn't it.

-----
Ladies,

I would keep asking for the next level rep up, if you lose _all_ your minutes for going to a lower plan with fewer minutes. They can give you back some of your minutes. Remember, if you had been on the lower plan all along, you would not have had all those rollover minutes.

Here is a long story why I lost my minutes and how I got some back. They will try to grind you down, so you have to calmly and logically just grind back.

I was relocated for work to a different state. I did not think that I would like the move and so I kept my home state phone number on a pre-plan. I later bought a iPhone which requires a post-paid plan and they gave me a number for the new state. I got laid off in the new state and before moving back to my home state, I swapped the numbers on the phones.

I got this story, that because the pre-paid plan is really handled by another company, that I would lose all my rollover minutes, and I would have to pay a Early Termination Fee for quitting the contract before 2 years. I argued that I was not canceling the contract, just changing the number. They said that they would have to "port the number over". I said bull, since the number was an ATT number and I didn't port the number over when I went from ATT post-paid to ATT pre-paid on the home state number.

The company ATT store (as opposed to a franchise ATT branded store) manager could not make the switch since he did not have access in the system, so he gave me on the number to a ATT rep who ports numbers over to make the switch. It took 2 hours to make the changes. I lost the 1700 rollover minutes, but as a good faith gesture she gave me back 500 minutes. Good faith gesture, I said, you took away 1200 minutes on a on-going contract. A few more phone calls and I got another 500 minutes several months later. Just remember I had not changed plans.

So I sent from same to same, all I did was change numbers. But in ATT's mind I went from company to company. (BS, they control both.)

------
Initially I lost over 4,000 and only received the 450 that came with my plan. I received half of them back.

No comments: