Monday, February 28, 2011

Catalog apps iPhone 4

Apple iPhone - catalog apps on iPhone 4



Please advise if there is an app to catalog my apps on my iPhone 4.

iPhone Apps
Apple iPhone Apps
What do you mean by catalog? List or group by like items?

Try iTunes if you want to list them. OR iTunes if you want to group them by like items. When you open iTunes > Apps you have a choice of showing them by Apps, grouped by iDevice capabilites or by Genres in Grid view. In list view you can probably sort them by various things.

Why does every one want an App to do the basics that are already available in a bare bones system?

-----
Something I often wonder myself. ;)

-----
It would be nice to be able to get a list of the apps that you have *installed* on the phone (or other device) -- not just the check mark list on the sync-page but a list you can copy off & peruse easily.

-----
I made a spreadsheet in Excel and keep the list of apps I have, date purchased, and cost. I am amazed at how much I have spent!!! :)

-----
On my Mac, I use App Store Expense Monitor

-----
Not much help to me as I use Windows.

But I do have a question about it -- does it also have a way to keep track of what is *on* any iDevice? not just what you've *got*?

I'm not in the mood to type up a catch-up spreadsheet -- got way too many apps for that project.

-----
Nope.

-----
There is a way to make a list of the apps you install, sorted by the day if you wish.

-----
You can also sort by genre or alphabetically and copy to your notes or send in email to yourself that you can reference on your iphone or ipad.

-----
is there a way to do the same as you explained in your blog but for iTunes for Windows?

-----
On a Mac we can save a print file as a pdf file.

If you can do this on a PC, then you can select the app list and send it to your printer and select Custom option to get all the columns in your view list and save as a pdf file or print it.

I know you can selecting a group of SONGS in iTunes on PC (select first song, then holding down shift key select the last song in group) and then perform a right click on this selection to copy the info for the SONGS, but I don't think this will work for APPS, but you could try that as well.

-----
You're using a Mac.

"Services" does not appear to be in any of the menus in the Windows version.

-----
Not sure what to offer as a suggestion for PC users. If you can take a partial screen print of the open window then you can have the list in png or jpg format to refer to when needed.

Another way might be to select the list of apps and then select 'Print' and select 'Custom' (this print view will give the columns dates and view options you have selected). On a Mac we can view a preview of this list, before printing and select save as pdf rather than printing.

-----
Thanks. Based on your suggestion, here's what I did --

in Apps window, have apps listed in the order I want (so far I've done by date-mod sort), being sure the columns are wide enough (otherwise the dates got chopped). Select File/Print/song-listing/theme-custom. There's no print-preview but since I have Acrobat, I can print-to-PDF.

I also did a send-to-OneNote & it puts a "printout" in a Notebook -- I haven't done much with OneNote so don't know what I can do with it there. Something to try, I guess, if I'm in the mood for it. I'm sure OneNote would be a big help in getting myself organized if I could just get organized enough to do it. :-)

There are probably other ways to "print" a list without using paper -- various free-to-pdf programs & so on.

I wonder if a pdf-to-excel program would do something here....

Anyway, this is a start.
But it really would be nice if there were a way to list the apps actually installed on a device, maybe as an option during a sync or something.

-----
How do you get the date modified, I am getting names, seller name genres, size that is it

-----
In iTunes go to View Options under View Menu and check 'Date Added', 'Date Modified', etc. that you might wish to see in the list.

-----
Thanks I got impatient, found it all. Thanks

-----
The song-listing/theme-custom will print what's in the *current view*. Be sure you have the columns the way you want before you "print". Right-click on the column-head bar, check the columns you want, drag them around to get them in the layout you want.

-----
Here is another option to try on PC, it worked on my Mac and there should be some way to do same on a PC.

Click on the first app in your list in iTunes. Use right click (PC) or control click (Mac) and select 'Show in Finder' (Mac) or 'Show in Windows' (PC)

On a Mac the finder window opens with the list of apps and I assume that a similar list in a directory would appear on the PC.

Select the group of app names in that finder window (Mac) or directory window (PC).

Using the cmd C (Mac) and the equivalent on a PC cntrl C. to copy this list to your clipboard.

I then pasted this in to Text Edit on Mac (using the plain text option) and would think that the PC would have an editor that would also work for pasting in the list of apps.

-----
the list of 'Apps' viewed, printed or saved via 'Services' does give all the apps that you have downloaded into iTunes. It doesn't specifically give the ones that you have installed on your device. In fact, you might have some apps on an iPad and some on an iPhone, but not both or not installed on either.

It would be nice to have this as a feature of iTunes or as an app that would send a list of current apps installed on our devices.

I was offering some possible solutions that might help people see what they had added to their iTunes Apps, some are not aware this view of all apps sorted by date added, etc is there.

-----
Perhaps folders would help you - if you have two similar apps, push and hold until they start getting - well - quivering or something. Then drag one app on top of the other, and it will make a folder. You can pick a name. I have hundreds of apps - but all fit on two pages. I used to think there was a nine app limit on folders, but I've dragged as many as 11 there and they all show up when I tap the folder. NICE way to organize them all, but if you upgrade your phone, be prepared for hassles with backing up and restoring. ALL my apps are free, it still acted like I had to pay for them all again, and lost ALL of my folder organization (UGH!) It took a couple of hours to make my new phone like the old one was.

-----
It's 12 per folder.

No comments: