Wednesday, February 9, 2011

email

Apple iPhone - email



I use Windows XP Pro on my home PC, with Microsoft Outlook for my email program. If Outlook is open, I get all my email sent to my PC. In this case, no mail goes to my iPhone. The only way to get mail on my iPhone is if my Outlook program is closed, or the PC is off. So, if I'm away from home, I can't check my email if I left my PC turned on with Outlook running.

Is this the way it's supposed to work? Also, I just got an iPad, which I usually leave running all the time; I'm sure this must throw another kink in the equation.

Ideally, I would like all my email to go to all my devices so I can check it no matter where I happen to be. And, once I read it and delete it, it disappears from all my devices.

iPhone Email
Apple iPhone email
I no longer use Outlook but have for many years. There is a setting in Outlook or Yahoo one that says leave a copy of the message on the server. I can't tell you whee to find it.

-----
After thinking about the problem, It has to be in Outlook. There is also a setting that says delete from server if I delete from Outlook.

-----
Besides what said, is it a POP or IMAP account?

-----
POP

-----
Yes, it is possible. It's called IMAP. But a lot of ISPs don't support it. So you need to get an IMAP mail account from somewhere like fastmail.fm

-----
Today I went into Outlook and found and checked the checkbox to "Leave a copy of the message on the server". I was then able to receive email on my iPhone, even though my PC was on and Outlook was running. That's all I was really trying to do. Before doing that, sometimes email would appear on my iPhone, but when I attempted to open it, it would just disappear.



I have heard of the IMAP thing before, but if I recall, my ISP doesn't support it, and I don't want to get new accounts.

-----
Has anyone experience with this iPhone accessory?

http://us.kensington.com/html/17803.html#

-----
I have no experience with Kensington AssistOne™ Handsfree Car Device with Voice Activation. I have had great experiences with other Kensington products and they have replaced items well beyond the standard warranty.

If you notice, the device uses Apple's Voice Control, which I have also not used. You have to train it, and background noise in your car may make a difference.

I also don't care for the long neck on the windshield mount. Also check if windshield mounts are legal in your state. I much prefer dash mounts. They end to be more stable and tend to be less visible from the outside, making them a little less likely to encourage burglary.

No comments: