Wednesday, February 16, 2011

AT&T 3G Microcell

Apple iPhone - AT&T 3G Microcell



I just got one of these for free but after countless hours on the help line, we were unable to get a solid 3G signal. Either it is defective or the Netgear router isn't compatible or something else is wrong. They are sending me a new one. Does anyone have experience with this?

iPhone
Apple iPhone
Sorry I can't help but how did you get one for free?

-----
I used the AT & T app to let them know every time a call was dropped or the phone was searching for a connection at my home. I did that hundreds of times.

-----
See... there's an App for that.

And you used it wisely.

-----
Their customer service has been really spotty for this. Several csr's had no training at all. Two seemed to really know what was going on.

There are pretty many cords to AT & T ach so how they are AT & T ached and defective cords can be a problem.

I had to increase my internet speed.

My address was not on their database so it took over a week to get that updated.

You may have to restart router, microcell , and modem.

You may have to reboot your phone.

You may have to reset the microcell using a paper clip.

If you have 2g phones on your list of numbers it may not work even if the phone is not around (this was the most recent change).

And sometimes it may just not work.

It is nice to have good cell service when it does work.

-----
I have this box. Got it last year. My house is a horrible dead zone so I didn't notice an improvement until I put it before my router, giving it the priority, and then the phone service improved-some. It helps, but it's not perfect. I've heard that it would slow up the internet speak, but I have the Cox cable internet service and I didn't really notice a difference.

Another thing to watch for: I pay the $20 monthly to have all calls through this box free. I registered 3 phones to it and the people at the AT & T &T end did not know what they were doing and only set up the box for a single use. Mine was the only one registered on their end, and my other two phones were continuing to rack up charges. This went on for about 4 or 5 months and repeated calls. I finally got someone who did know about the box and they changed the code in their system and I'm good to go now. If anyone else has this problem, make the suggestion to AT & T &T so they know what to do.

-----
You can manage your phone numbers on line. You can add up to ten numbers. Just don't try to add one that is not 3g or you will be sorry.

-----
My home reception was fair (but not great), so I had not complained after having AT & T service for 4 months. Nonetheless, AT & T emailed me 2 weeks ago to offer me a free micro-cell.

I must be lucky, because installation was a breeze.

The 3G must be switched on in the iPhone's settings. (I had usually left my phone set on EDGE to ensure stronger home reception.)

Now the micro-cell sits right next to my Wi-Fi router and on the shelf above my cable modem. And since setting it up and letting its GPS orient itself, the micro-cell has consistently given me 4-5 bars, even ouutside in the yard. I couldn't be more pleased.

One surprise bonus was improved bAT & T ery life on the phone. Apparently weak signals make the phone work harder to maintain a cullular connection. Since installing the micro-cell, the bAT & T ery appears to last longer, even though I now leave 3G enabled.

-----
I just went into the AT & T store to buy one and he said that I was eligible for a free one. They must have a list of neighborhoods with poor reception. After hours on the phone I got a new one the next day. It has exactly the same problem, a flickering Ethernet signal and no solid 3G light. I have changed settings on my router to ones specified, turned it off and on in every order, and now I have to call the help line for a few more hours...

-----
Do you have AT & T as your land line provider and using a wifi box also supplied by them? Sorry you are having such a bad time getting it to work. Mine went easy. So all you others may have either experience.

-----
I have been following this thread. I, too, have a letter from AT & T offering a free microcell . I have only EDGE at home for voice. Not great, but OK. Rarely does a call drop. But I have my WIFI for data. Why would I need a microcell ?

-----
A microcell changed 1-2bars at home to always 5 bars. It just works better and it's 3G.

-----
Wow, they have sure changed at AT & T . I had to buy mine, of course this was about 10 months ago when the micro cell was new.I live in a weak area south of Tucson. Moved here about a year ago. Super weak signal, had to go outside & stand in a certain place to make a call. The micro cell works fine now. When I started I had two major problems, first my address is not in the USPO database & they have to have you on GPS for 911 calls. I am required to have a POB where I live so that was a problem. (no physical address according to USPO) I then spent many hours on the phone with tech support trying to get it operable, only to find that my speed was too slow. I had 1.5 which it says will work but it dosen't. I pumped my speed to 3.5 with quest & it works just fine 99% of the time. It is still electronic & has glitches. My wife & I both have 3Gs phones but she has more problems on hers than I do on mine. All in all it is great to have decent service.

-----
In regard to the Internet speed the best speed AT & T can provide me is 0.61 and microcell works great. Don't let them tell you otherwise. They are using this program to high pressure sell uverse. Just say no.

No comments: