Saturday, February 26, 2011

Record tv programs to my computer and sync to my iPhone 3G

Apple iPhone - Record tv programs to my computer and sync to my iPhone 3G



I just want to record tv programs to my computer and sync to my iPhone 3G but can't seem to find any good info on how to do it. Could I use a Hauppauge product or similar product? It needs to have an IR Blaster to change the channel on the cable box (I am on Verizon Fios, but will use a starndard non-dvr box in my guest room for this project). I prefer an external device since I have an extra laptop I can dedicate to this purpose. However, I am not against doing this on my desktop PC since I don't use my PC that much other than for a file server in my house.

BTW, I have the QIP-6416-2 Motorola DVR on my main TV. Several years ago I was able to pull DVRs off the box using the firewire and some software, but this proved to be very difficult and unreliable. Therefore, I'll be OK with recording it off an analog box to a PC, then syncing it to my iPhone.

iPhone Sync
Apple iPhone Sync
Once you have it captured on a computer, PC or Mac, you have to change the format and size to one usable on the iPhone.

On the Mac side you can use Handbrake to do the conversion. You will have to find appropriate software for the PC side. Then you can sync it to the iPhone with iTunes or other software.

The conversion take almost real time, so it will be slow. It is easier to try and find it already converted when possible, at say Netflix for older shows or say Hulu for current ones. Those will probably be in streaming form, rather than download form.

-----
On the Windows side, you can also use HandBrake. Remember that you need to also load VLC to get the necessary DVD decryption codecs.

No comments: