Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Iphone 4 vs others

Since today Apple is coming out with unlocked iphone and since i have been waiting a long time for an unlocked version of it I am ready to buy a smartphone and get rid of the Verizon that is totally useless overseas. How does the iphone 4 32 GB ($749.00)compare to others like HTC. Or should I wait for unlock version of iphone 5 which is suppose to come out this coming fall. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Apple iPhoneApple iPhone

The iPhone 5 will be out but it will not be sold unlocked in the US until a year later. They do this every year to sell inventory before the next model.

-----

I read somewhere today that it is unlocked but it will not work on Verizon, Sprint or T-Mobile. It is still tied to AT&T for updates.

-----

I could not find the article that I read earlier but here is one that says it may do what you want overseas.

http://goo.gl/bndk9

-----

It is the GSM model which will only work on T-Mobile as EDGE not 3G (never has) and internationally. There is no reason to sell an unlocked CDMA device as the only other US carrier would be Sprint and they wouldn't activate it (not as simple as putting a SIM in). I guess some off the 'local' networks like MetroPCS, etc would use it but they will activate any Verizon phone for $50 so there is no need to pay $649/$749.

-----

Here is another good artice about the unlocked iPhone.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/230302/apples_unlocked_iphone_not_as_magical_as_i\
t_seems.html

-----

Since Verizon and Sprint do not use GSM, I under stand that, but why not T-Mobile?

-----

I was quoting the artice from memory which I should not do but here goes again. The unlocked iPhone will work on T-Mobile but only have edge service on data. It would be a waste to put an $800 phone on T-Mobile.

-----

OK, It works, but not with full functionality, if you can get the correct SIM from them. Now I understand.

No comments: