Thursday, June 23, 2011

iPhone GPS

I was just wondering if anyone else if having trouble with their GPS on their phones. I have an iPhone 3GS with NAVIGON GPS. There are times when my phone does not receive a GPS signal for long stretches of time. Fortunately, I had my stand-alone GPS unit with me which never lost the GPS signal. Is this common with the iPhone? Does anyone else have NAVIGON who is experiencing this problem? If you have another App like Tom-Tom or Magellon are you having this problem? I even reset my phone while I was driving and it still did not pick up a GPS signal.

Apple iPhone GPSApple iPhone GPS

I just downloaded Navigon and will use it this weekend. Thanks for the heads up. I'll let you know if I have any trouble!

-----

Most (or all) cell phones get the map info for the their GPS from the internet. In other words, the phone has the gps but the maps are accessed thru 3g or WiFi. Consequently if there is no phone service then the mapping wont work.

-----

The Navigon software includes on-device maps.

Take a look at this FAQ from the Navigon site:

http://www.navigon.com/portal/int/kundenservice/faq.html?id=11203&content_identi\
fier=faq&page=1&faqTopic=iphone

-----

The TomTom app puts the whole database on the device. Takes up about 1gb but much faster & not dependent on 3G coverage.

-----

Give us a little more info.

Did you lose the map or the location indicator?
What is the vehicle?
Where was it mounted?
In a case or not?
What model of iPhone?

Remember that the GPS signal reception in the iPhone is probably not as strong as the standalone. Some of the car kits have a second GPS antenna to boost the signal.

-----

I got a red bar across the top of the screen (using NAVIGON GPS), the map is frozen, and it doesn't do anything.

I have the iPhone 3GS that is plugged in to a FM transmitter on the dash of my 2001 Dodge Van. The phone is not in a case and even when I unplugged it and held it close to the window there was still no GPS signal.

It even happens when I am just holding the phone outside while not driving.

The NAVIGON website said they have been having problems when you run NAVIGON in the background and then come back to it.

The program has been losing the GPS signal, and they have hopefully fixed the bug with the new release 1.8.2. I just downloaded it so I will try it and give this site an update.

-----

Does the iPhone show the correct location in Google maps?

I have found that when an app does not perform correctly, that removing the app from the iPhone and reinstalling from iTunes fixes the problem. I did have the GPS quit working when I had an iPhone 3GS. I restored the phone and it started working again.

-----

I did try a restore on the phone and that didn't work either but I think the new release may solve the problems I mentioned.

-----

I use GPS Drive from Motion X. It was $.99, and I've bought the voice add-on. The only problem I've ever faced wasa one time iPhone crash that lasted almost 10 minutes. Because I was on my way out of town for several days, and I absolutely needed my phone and its GPS, that was an extremely long 10 minutes of near-panicky problem solving. Then suddenly the phone restored both itself and my trust in Apple.

-----

That situation happened to me much more when I used to use navigation software on a Palm PDA and it was nerve wracking when you worried if you went the wrong way.

No comments: