Wednesday, June 22, 2011

iPhone, Play Music in a car

How can I play music from my iPhone music in my car? Is there any way? I have a 2007 Tav4 with blue tooth. I know that you iPhone experts can give me a tip.

Apple iPhone musicApple iPhone music

My son plays his music via BlueTooth from his iPhone4 in his Dodge PickUp all the time. Have you tried that?

-----

I assume you have already paired the Bluetooth to the car for phone use. You may have to select the Bluetooth device although my car does it automatically. Select Aux on car stereo And that should do it. SWEET. Expect more battery drain due to Bluetooth.

-----

I just got a Bluetooth Sony car stereo installed yesterday and it is super sweet! No more wires other than to keep my iPhone charging when I drive.

-----

I would like to know about using bluetooth to listen to iPhone music....

Tell me about your Bluetooth Sony car stereo you mentioned:

(1) Which one is it?
(2) How did you decide on the one you have? Research?
(3) How does it work?
(4) Cost/where purchased?

-----

Sure. Here is the info!
1. Sony Xplod Model MEXBT2900 as I recall. Best Buy online shows it priced at $159.99 but in the store it was priced as clearance at $89.99. I also needed to buy a car kit and wiring kit that added another $50-60 to the cost. But they didn't have the car kit for my 4Runner at the store so I had to order it online.

2. I looked online at choices at Bestbuy.com searching for Bluetooth car stereo. There were several choices. So I next went to the store and looked at them all and it came down to cost. I couldn't pass up on a clearance deal like that. And I have to say I make a great decision. The Sony Xplod is amazing.

3. There is a BT button which you press and hold for 5 seconds. It then goes in search mode looking for my iPhone or should I say it becomes discoverable Bu my iPhone. Once I see Xplod show up as a BT device I then pair it just like you would do with a BT headset. Then be sure the source is set for BT Audio. Turn on some music from your iPhone and be sure it shows it is playing through the Bluetooth connection from the app. I believe it defaults to it automatically after the pairing is done and you leave your BT feature turned on. They auto-discover each other everytime you get in the car. Then if Ineant to make a call, the stereo automatically changes the source to bT Phone. It provides crystal clear sound for your phone call through your car audio. I even verified on the other end the person I am talking to can hear me good and they can.

After the call is over, the Sony automatically changes source back to BT Audio and the music recontinues where it left off.

4. See 1 above. For under $200 investment, I got it installed once I received the car kit. Their professional installation comes with a lifetime warranty and costs $49.99. That installation cost is part of my total $200 spent. The best Father's Day gift ever!!!

Good luck!

-----

You are assuming that the bluetooth in his car supports media and is not just for telephonics. I don't know one way or the other about the car in question.

-----

After market stereos like my new Sony Xplod supports both phone and stereo music via Bluetooth!

-----

Your car has to support the A2DPÂ Bluetooth protocol in order to wirelessly play music (or any audio) from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod. My Cadillac Escalade has Bluetooth but it doesn't support A2DP (GM has always been about 5 years behind the technology curve). Thus, phone - works great / wireless music - not so much (none). On the other hand, the Lincoln MKX rental I had about a year ago with Ford's SYNC system paired easily & worked great

-----

I would recommend then to remove the stock stereo and buy a Sony Xplod (or similar) that gives you the BT stereo feature. Keep the stock stereo like I will in case I ever sell my car. You can go back to Best Buy and they will swap it back and you keep your new stereo to put into the next vehicle!

The beauty with their professional installation service is the car and wiring kits you buy. It provides exact connectors your car uses so no cutting of original car wiring. That way its very easy for them to swap back in your original stock stereo. It took less than an hour for the installation.

-----

On its face, your suggestion sounds logical, & for most, would be the way to go - but - in the Escalade the factory Bluetooth is in one module that also houses the OnStar, the XM receiver is another module, & the main head incorporates the factory navigation & two DVD drives (one for the nav data disk & one for CD's or movie DVD's. Anything's possible, but needless to say, aftermarket in an Escalade "ain't easy" & is usually left to those that like for you hear their bass thumping two blocks away. Anyway, it's a lease & the whole issue will be moot in a couple of years. Hopefully GM will come into the 21st century by then - otherwise, look out Ford, here I come :-) Your observations about Best Buy are very interesting. I've often wondered how competent their car audio installers were. Thanks for the input.

BTW - to keep this "on-topic" for iPhones - for those without A2DP Bluetooth, there are aftermarket modules that integrate into you stock sound system & plug into your iDevice to allow you to listen and control it thru your factory head unit. I'm currently using the PA20-GM from www.usaspec.com. Their units are available from them or thru Amazon & several other online sources.

-----

I can second the BB stereo installers. They did a fantastic job installing my BT Pioneer deck last year. Loving the BT audio. Especially the kids. They can pass the iPhone around to play songs with no cord issues. I also like watching movies / Netflix while waiting on appointments and the audio coming through the stereo. All without the annoying hiss and whatnot you get from FM transmitters.

-----

Thanks. After seeing this thread I tried to use my iPhone through bluetooth on my Lexus 2007. Didn't work :-(. I must not have the A2DP support. So not only GM is behind the times!!

-----

Does your car have a mini-jack port for audio input, some cars have this capability and can be connected with a stereo cable from you iphone or ipod touch to play music, using the AUX setting on your stereo. This is true of one of my cars, in fact the port on one car is on the console between the seats, and is in the glove compartment on another car.

You might check your owner's manual or one of the car forums and ask the question there as well.

No comments: