Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Video slowdown

Apple iPhone - Video slowdown

I have a 3GS iPhone. Lately video download has slowed way down or simply stops at random. For example, You Tube is now just about useless. Any ideas what might be causing the problem?

I am still using OS 4.1 because my MacMini is still running 10.4.11. (I plan to upgrade to 10.6 soon.)

I haven't made any changes to the phone or my wifi hookup. I can't imagine what's wrong.

iPhone VideoApple iPhone video

When the video on my 4 is super slow sometimes I turn off my 3G and use Edge.

-----

I would say it is the network not the iPhone.

-----

It seems to happen no matter what I use: wifi, 3G. My macmini is connected to the same network and shows no speed variation.

Another person suggested I restore the phone then use backup to return content. Never did that before so it scares me a bit. Would I connect to iTunes, backup as usual then hit restore? After that I'm not sure how to get the backup content on the phone again. I know this must be really basic. But if someone could point me in the direction of where I'd find the exact procedure I'd be very grateful.

-----

A quick Google search found this Apple support file: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414

-----

Check out this video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imMZKvl8BTQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

-----

I had made these assumptions about your post when I made my reply.

1- You are streaming a video, rather than downloading it to your iPhone.

2- I assumed you were using either Edge or 3G, but WiFi it would not matter.

Either way, I think problem is with the network or the server that you are getting the video from, and not the iPhone. Speeds vary by time of day, day of the week and time of the year.

If it is a popular YouTube video, their server could be overloaded.

If it is all videos all the time, then I would do the a restore.

No comments: