Saturday, March 19, 2011

iPhone 4 GPS in another country

Apple iPhone - iPhone 4 GPS in another country



I am planning a trip to Europe and plan on not using the iPhone for communications, but just for GPS. There is an app for GeoTagging photos. but it needs the GPS. Will I get charged for data at the extra high rates?

iPhone GPS
Apple iPhone GPS
GPS doesn't use your data connection - just make sure you turn "Cellular Data" off in the Settings > Network

-----
If you turn "Cellular Data" OFF in Settings - General, you should still be able to use the GPS, although applications that download maps could not.

If you are concerned about preventing voice usage as well, it might be easier to just remove the SIM card (if you're AT&T, but not if you're Verizon).

-----
OK thank you both, I will turn off data. is there a way to turn off the cell part without removing the SIM card?

-----
In general, yes; for you, no.

Turning Airplane Mode ON turns off the cellular radio completely, but it also turns off GPS....

-----
Turn off cell data so you don´t pay charges, WI-FI still works for download map data, surfing, skype....

-----
WiFi may be good for downloading the maps while in town, but in between where there is no WiFi, you will only see a grey grid with a pin stuck into it. Most of the GPS app do not download the maps to the phone, but rely on a cellular Data/WiFi connection. There is one app that does download the maps to the phone, but I do not remember the name.

-----
MotionX GPS Drive can pre-load maps to memory.

-----
Not to be a contrarian, but when I took my AT&T iPhone 4 to Rome and Egypt last fall, I simply turned off Data Roaming (as instructed by AT&T). This prevents any web browsing, email, or apps' access to the Internet.

However, I left the Cellular Data switched on so I could still send & receive texts. I had paid AT&T $10 in advance for up to 50 texts ("Global Messaging 50"), leaving me some communication ability without extra-high voice charges. Each message over 50 costs $0.40, but I personally used only about 25 texts in the 2 weeks I was away.

I also spent $25 for 20 MB Data Global Add-on so I could briefly switch Data Roaming on and check email or load a map or two while away from WiFi. AT&T promised to refund the cost if I didn't use it. But even in the hotels, WiFi in Egypt proved to be spotty, and I ended up glad I had a lower cost backup plan. To monitor your use, reset your usage statistics in the "Settings" app while in the plane on your way to Europe.

And by the way, using the Skype app when WiFi was available allowed local or global voice communication for pennies.

No comments: