Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Moving to new computer

Apple iPhone - Moving to new computer



I've looked over a lot of old messages but I'm still kinda confused.

What exactly do I need to do?
Moving from Win XP to Win7.

I have music, audiobooks, podcasts, pictures, videos & TV shows (both purchased from iTunes store & ripped from DVD), lots of apps, contacts & calendar in Outlook, & probably something else I can't think of right now.

Not everything is in the "iTunes folder" -- a number of the ripped-videos aren't & the Outlook stuff isn't, and the pictures are in the My Pictures folder.

Aside from moving all the files & folders -- and which ones do I need to be sure are moved, other than the obvious ones that I know have content I want to keep -- where do I put them on the new pc & how do I get them "into" iTunes?

What I really need is a step-by-step instruction set.

iPhone iTunes
Apple iPhone iTunes
Windows 7 has a utility that will move ALL of " your" files from the old computer. I forget the name but a checking will tell you what it is.

I used it to update from a Win XP machine to a Win 7 machine it worked perfectly.

Make things easy for yourself. Check the windows help system and Microsoft.com.

-----
I started trying the Easy Transfer system. I was going to use the xfer using an external HD. When it said it'd be >10 hours (& it may not have stopped adding to the time est) I shut it down. I'll get a direct transfer cable & try again -- maybe it'll only take "overnite" not "all week". :-)

-----
Even that much time is much less than you'll spend trying to do all that on your own.

-----
If I did it myself (if I knew what to move & where to put it) I wouldn't have to do it all at once; I could do it in between actually using the computer(s). e.g. I could move all of iTunes in one session, all of Office in another, Mail in yet another...and so on.

-----
I assume that using the external HD means you have a full backup. Do you take regular backups anyway?

-----
Data backups, yes. But I don't know all the places that various settings, add-ons & stuff get stashed for various programs.

No comments: