Wednesday, May 25, 2011

iPhone, Can the iPhone 4 take ...

Photos in B&W *without* processing afterwards?

i.e. I'd like to view the preview in B&W, then take the photo in B&W, without the extra step of converting it after the fact - like using B&W film, but with the added advantage of being able to see the image in the preview in B&W first.
Apple iPhone photographyApple iPhone

I use retro camera plus. It's free. It gives you several old style cameras that have the option to take photos in B&W.

-----

Almost, but not quite - it converts the photo later. I'm looking for "in-camera" B&W - not conversion. Thanks.

-----

I use Hipstamatic. It works great.

-----

No. The camera has a color sensor. There is no way to do it "in camera" the way you mean. Whether you convert it to B&W with on-device settings or on your desktop later, it must be converted to B&W at some point to get a B&W image.

As Tara indicated, there are camera apps that will make it appear to be what you want, but all they're doing is pre-converting it for you.

As an avid amateur photographer, my suggestion is that unless you want to upload the image online immediately when you take it, don't do the conversion in-camera. Rather wait until you get it to your desktop and can use a more powerful image editor in order to both maintain the highest possible quality and to allow you more control over the results.

-----

I'm also a long-time amateur photographer (40 years) , and 99.99% of the time, I do just as you suggest. This is what you might call a "corner case" where I have a specific task in mind and I'm looking for a specific tool to do just that.

In short, the only things the app needs to do is:

1. show me scene in B&W.
2. capture that scene in B&W

Optionally it would be nice to have some measure of control on focus area (like the native iPhone 4 camera app), brightness, contrast, but that's all icing on the cake.

If there's an app that can do that, I'm still looking. :)

-----

Can't help you there, sorry. I have a 3rd Gen Touch, not an iPhone.

-----

Pro shots camera can take in BW - but you have to take the picture then look at it, it doesn't turn the "viewfinder" black and white. At one time, it must have been free or had a free lite version, because I never pay for apps. If you want to buy it, it is a dollar.

-----

Hipstamatic has a B/W film feature. You have to pay extra for it.

Once a photo is taken you can preview.

No comments: