Saturday, May 7, 2011

Transfer from iPhone to iTunes

When I plug in my 3GS to iTunes I get a message that there is a system update for my phone, I click the choice to update it and receive the following error message:

"There are purchased items on the iPhone "Bob Newman's iPhone" that have not been transferred to your iTunes library. You should transfer these items to your iTunes library before updating the iPhone. Are you sure you want to continue?"

Naturally I choose no. I am a rookie and a lot of this is over my head but when I sync it's supposed to do everything automatically. The note does not specify how to transfer these items and naturally when I do a search of the help file for the word transfer it says that nothing is found. I have other problems with syncing also but, one at a time.
-----

Apple iPhone itunesApple iPhone

That message is telling you that you have download apps directly to the phone since your last sync. Just sync and then install the iOS update and all will be fine.

-----

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, I have synced many times & still get that message.

Someone suggested following this link:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1848
But I can't find anything about authorizing a computer there.

-----

I've gotten that message before. I sync to make sure everything is on the computer and then the next time I say yes I'm sure I want to continue. Everything was backed up.

-----

Assuming that you are using a PC, if you right click on the phone in iTunes one of the options in the popup menu will be to transfer apps to iTunes. If yo do that and still get the message ignore it. I have been getting the same erroneous message since the update before last.

-----

Assuming that you are using a PC, if you right click on the phone in iTunes
one of the options in the popup menu will be to transfer apps to iTunes. If
yo do that and still get the message ignore it. I have been getting the
same erroneous message since the update before last.

-----

Same here. I get that all the time since a few updates back. Just ignore that message.

-----

Before I update, I have made it a habit to select my device from the left-hand side of the iTunes window and use Control Click on the name of the device (Mac) or right click (PC). If you do this, you will have additional options, one of which is transfer purchases. This allows you to transfer any apps that you might have bought on your iPhone or iPad directly (rather than from purchasing thru iTunes app). This will transfer those purchases (free and paid) from your device to the APPS tab of iTunes. I then proceed to update or sync after the transfer (i.e, the wheel next to the device name quits spinning). If you do this, you won't get that message and thus avoid having to answer the question.

I find the way that Apple has worded this is CONFUSING. Hope this helps.

I also try to make it a practice, to sync my device before I do an update (even if I don't have any thing to sync). This just gives me a good backup should something go wrong during the update. In fact, this happened just yesterday and my iPad was unplugged accidentally while updating and I had a good backup to restore everything.

-----

If you have synced then the message is wrong. I have gotten the same message lately and it is wrong. You can ignore it.

No comments: