Sunday, May 1, 2011

Using air print with 3Gs & iOS version 4.3.2

Apple iPhone pirnterApple iPhoneI have a 3Gs iPhone with iOS version 4.3.2. I used to be able to print wirelessly with my old HP 6122 (a USB, not a wireless printer) using an app called airprint (which no longer seems to be in the app store). Now when I try to use Air Print, I get a little notice come up saying "incorrect password for the HP deskjet 6122 with space for me to put in a user name and password. Has anyone else had this problem? I talked to Apple today and they said that Air Print now only will work with wireless printers and gave me a list, all being HP printers.

I have had 2 suggestions:
1. use an app called PrintBureau....anyone familiar with that? It costs $15

2. Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7 or Vista Many people familiar with prior versions of Windows are curious what happened to the built-in Administrator account that was always created by default. Does this account still exist, and how can you access it? The account is created in Windows 7 or Vista, but since it's not enabled you can't use it. If you are troubleshooting something that needs to run as administrator, you can enable it with a simple command.

Note: You really shouldn't use this account for anything other than troubleshooting. In fact, you probably shouldn't use it at all.

Try Airprint Activator for Windows. I use it, works like a charmed. Created my 7 year old science project on my ipad and printed the stuff thru Airprint Activator.

-----

Unfortunately, that is the same program that I've been using but now won't work since I upgraded my iphone software to version 4.3.2.

-----

That's a bummer. I haven't tried after the upgrade to 4.3.2, I'll have to check on that. Luckily I only upgraded my iPod touch 4 to 4.3.2. I usually use PrintCentral to print, it's not free though and I don't have to leave my PC or Mac on just to print. Worth the hassle. PrintCentral is cheaper than PrintBureau if you just need printing without the PDF conversion capability.

No comments: