Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Anyone going without a case?

Apple iPhoneApple iPhoneI got my first iPhone a couple months ago at Verizon's launch. I instantly got a rather sturdy Otterbox Defender case for it, as in work situations I have a high risk of damaging the phone (I do a lot of extreme weather photography and leave it mounted to the dash to display my GPS position overlaid over radar from the Radarscope app). The thing is, probably 95% of the time that I'm using it, I'm not using it in extreme weather situations -- just normal day to day stuff. Thing is, the case works great for protection but make the phone quite a bit larger and less fun to use. I took the phone out of its case for the first time in a couple months yesterday and was suddenly reminded of what a good-looking and well designed piece of equipment it is. So much so that I'm considering just using it without a case when I'm not using it while chasing. I remember reading somewhere that the front face glass of the iPhone 4 is supposed to be made of something near unscratchable -- but does anyone here have any experience with using an iPhone 4 with no case or screen protector? Get a lot of scratches, or any scratches at all? I'm not too picky about scratches on the back (so long as it's not over the camera), but I would probably be pretty annoyed if I scratched the front.

My suggestion is either out the iPhone back in the Defender case, or get a ZAGG invisiShield full body screen protector installed.

-----

I have been using the iPhone 4 without a screen protector for about 6 months now and have not had any problems. Also, I just use an inexpensive clear plastic case that avoids the antenna problem. However, I keep the phone in a separate compartment in my bag or keep it in a pocket without anything else so that it doesn't get banged up by contacting keys or other stuff.

-----

I wouldn't worry so much about scratches but breakage - the glass is surprisingly strong in most situations but I have seen one too many iPhones dropped at just the right angle and/or on to just the right surface and shattering the front and/or back glass. The back glass isn't incredibly expensive but the front glass in bonded to the touch panel / LCD screen and I believe is either $199 or $249 to repair - I would much rather have a case.... Personally I use the Mophie Juice Pack Air which does add some bulk but more nearly triples the battery life.

-----

I agree. I would like to use out if my otterbox. But not worth the stylish chance of damaging it.

I had many solid clear plastic cases that were perfect for my 3GS. But I have not seen them for the I4 yet.

Otterbox clearly doubles size. But I have had zero dMage and good service from my I4.

I do attribute the otterbox as the reason I have no damage

-----

I have been using my 3GS for about 18 months now without a case. It has dropped a couple of times (not from a great height, i.e falling out of my pocket when at the gym doing reverse crunches, etc). I keep it in my pant pockets with keys, etc. Minor scratches on the case but overall it has held up pretty well.

-----

I had a defender on my iPhone for 6 months but just couldn't handle the bulk so I downsized to a commuter TL and I LOVE it! It has dropped to the concrete several times & it's been just fine :)

-----

A few weeks after buying a Square Trade warranty on my iPhone, they (Square Trade) sent me a silicone rubber case for free.

It slides on and off easily (so I can put the iPhone in the TomTom Car Kit dash mount), but cannot fall off accidentally; it wraps around the edges and covers everything but the viewable screen, with cutouts for the headphone jack, SIM slot, mute switch, and speaker, mike, and 30-pin connector on the bottom.

It is smooth, but not slippery, and won't easily fall out of a pocket. I haven't gone out of my way to drop it, but since it covers the whole back, and the edges of the "Gorilla Glass" front, it ought to protect well in a fall.

It is, after all, in the insurer's best interest to protect the iPhone from damage!

No comments: