Sunday, July 10, 2011

iPhone, AT&T is Offering 1000 Rollover Minutes to iPhone Users

I did receive a message about the rollover minutes, but my husband and I never use up our minutes and we're constantly losing the rollovers for lack of use.

Wish they'd over something else I could use, maybe a certain number of free texts. I don't have texting since I have emailing, but it would come in handy sometime.

Apple iPhone ATTApple iPhone ATT

You & me both. I don't come anywhere near to using up my monthly minutes, let alone dipping into the rollovers. And most of my calls last week, for example, were to another ATT mobile so were free anyway.

OTOH I hardly ever text, but did get a couple (& responded) from that same mobile last week so they'll be added to my bill.

What puzzles me is that there were 2 texts received (& one I sent) but one of the received-ones apparently counted as 2 messages. Is there a character limit or something??

I often read email on my phone but hardly ever send any from there. Some of what I send is from me to me to get some notes on my main computer. :-) (but I'm using OneNote more for a lot of that now)

Anyhoo, I haven't gotten any messages about free minutes & haven't gone to that link listed earlier either -- I don't need the minutes & the whole thing looked a bit odd -- certainly marketing-y if not hinky.

-----

SMS messages a limited to 160 characters. When there are more than that, the text is sent as multiple message. You can't turn on the character counter by going into Settings-> Messages-> slide on Character count

-----

Oops, that should have been you CAN turn on the character count by going to Settings->Messages-> slide on Character Count.

That will let you know how many characters your message is. It will show to the right of the text input field.

-----

But that does not count or limit the character count of incoming messages, which is what he was questioning.

-----

True, but it let's her know if she'll be sending 1or 2 texts. Which is a help as she's paying by the text and didn't know there was a character limit per text :-)

-----

since it is going to a 3rd party address and not AT&T like the first one, it is hard to say if it is a phishing scam or not. With texting to a numeric address, there is no telling at all who it is going to.

Even if it is authentic and honest, it is only a "warm and fuzzy", for 99% of all customers will never use them. There are a few cases where they might use some of the free minutes.

And that is was makes this such a great possible phishing scam or social engineering.

I changed a phone number on a post-paid account and in the process AT&T took away 3500 rollover minutes at a time when I could have gone over my plan minutes. They gifted me back 1000 rollover minutes when I complained. So some CS Reps have the discretionary ability to do this, anyway, without a promotion going on.

This is much like the Vz "warm and fuzzy" customer service I experienced in the past. They are always polite and promise you the world, but they never, ever follow through

-----

Hurray!!!

Someone finally realized the true value to the customers of an extra 1000 rollover minutes... zip, zero, nothing!

It gives the customer a good feeling, but probably nothing of value. There are so few cases where there will be any value to the customer.

Since the question came up recently of whether or not is was a phishing scam since it does not go to AT&T, but a 3rd party, if it is a scam, then that just shows you how much of a good feeling it is.

-----

Since I've knocked my monthly minutes way way down because I dont use my cell much during the day....except for holidays, this does come in handy for me.

I did get 1000 extra minutes in Feb with the freebie...and I definitely dipped into it.

-----

Anyone else positively know they have used some of the free rollover minutes, so I can change my position from 99% of the customers won't use them?

I think the seniors plan at 200 minutes is the only plan with fewer minutes than the 450 minute plan, and the senior plan does not allow rollover minutes.

For me, on the 450 plan, I have topped out at about 3500 rollover minutes, so I guess I use fewer minutes than Techlady. That might be true, seeing that I am a grumpy old fart and a confirmed bachelor.

No comments: